I’ve decided to stop using make-up on a daily/regular basis.
Although I’ve always used make-up only to enhance my features, to cheat during those times when I didn’t have enough sleep or I was emotionally in turmoil (and my face couldn’t simply deny the truth) and to have fun, it still came to point where I felt as though I couldn’t go out without it. I didn’t feel “presentable enough” without it.
But recently I’ve decided to try going out for a day with absolutely no make-up on and with my hair in this cute messy bun. Initially it’s only because I felt lazy to spend a few extra minutes on dolling up that day.
Surprisingly, I enjoyed it. My face felt clean and free! I could feel the wind and the sun on my raw face and she was happy!
I didn’t have to keep on checking my face out in the mirror to look out for oiliness or a smeared/fainted lipstick. I didn’t have to be so conscious when I eat or drink or when I talk to people. Aside from that, I liked how I looked without make-up on. I know I look a lot younger without make-up and sometimes I intentionally wanted to look older. But maybe I should just accept that this is how I look like. I actually look more like myself (how I feel inside) without make-up.
I am not saying I won’t use make-up from hereon.
I just think we must use make-up as one of our options, just whenever we feel like it. Nobody should feel as if it’s a necessity.
We must not get used to liking ourselves more when we have make-up on. We should like ourselves equally with or without it. That’s how we can use it not to enable our insecurities and unhealthy habits (e.g. sleeping late, not drinking a lot of water, getting involved in toxic situations) but to empower us and inspire us to make healthier choices.
Not wearing make-up regularly has enabled me to get back to my core self, to see who I really am. It’s also pushed me to be more disciplined in taking care of myself. Wearing make-up has been my band-aid solution. Now I am choosing long-lasting resolutions to make myself feel and look good. Some of my practical habits are:
- Extra virgin olive oil as moisturizer applied every night
- Ice therapy on my face every morning
- Lots of water and raw veggies and fruits
- Regular exercise and a whole lotta sweat!
- Sleeping early and getting enough sleep (plus sleeping whenever I can!)
- Green tea everyday
- Regular full body massage
- Wearing clothes and accessories that reflect how I want to feel
- Smiling and laughing
- Spending time with people who sincerely want to be with me
- Surrounding myself with people who inspire and help me in becoming the person I want to be
- Not participating in senseless talks and not consuming senseless media products
- Spending time with animals! Rush of love and good vibes 🙂
- Going out and spending time in nature
- Believing in good things
- Welcoming Change as a friend and not an enemy
Healthier days are coming 🙂